November 19, 2008

Papaya anyone?

So over a year ago when we moved into our house that we now rent, we planted several papaya trees. And about 14 months later, here they are, well over 10 feet tall and producing a riduculous amount of 5-10 pound fruits. I don't know how many of you have tried fresh papaya but it's well...stinky. Luckily I figured out that blending it with milk, ice, ripe bananas, and a little sugar makes it tolerable. I know lots of people like it (all the Hondurans I know do) but the texture combined with the smell makes it a difficult fruit to swallow, even though it apprently is really good for you. We planted the trees simply because someone told us they grow fast and they do. There is more than 25 papayas growing on this one:

Another tree with less papayas:

One of the first ones to ripen, cut in half:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie and Luke,
Good afternoon! I wanted to let you know I follow your interesting, fun blogs. Hope you are both doing well. Here in Iowa it is cold, 20s-30s, with no sun. Ugh. Already missing garden vegies so envious of your papayas and that wonderful farmers market produce for $1! Take care
Janet Geyer

Murray R. said...

Annie and Luke...I found your blog through Google. I live on Roatan, and wanted to visit Danli...I have a friend there..
Are there any hotels there? If there are only basic accomodations, then are there villas for rent (short term?)..
I don't mind paying, but I want comfort...
Secondly, is the only public way to get there from Tegus, by bus (Discua Litena)?....

Thanks again.
I've enjoyed reading your experiences.
Murray

Annie said...

Murray, sorry for the delayed response to your questions. There are many hotels in Danli and you can make reservations when you get here. One I recommend is above the restaurant Comedor Milay near Espresso Americano. There is a new hotel (can't remember name) several blocks from there on the same road as the post office that looks nice. Another one is Hotel Esperanza or Hotel Granada. As far as renting somewhere to live short-term, you would just have to ask around once you got here. The only way from Tegus is by bus - you can either go to the Dippsa in Colonia Kennedy and get on a Rapadito (a little faster and nicer) or go to the Discua station (a block downhill from the Dippsa). There is only a L 1 price difference between the two places. Once in Danl, a taxi costs L 15 / person. Hope this helps!